[Marxism] Lincoln

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Apr 10 23:59:56 MDT 2006

     I try to stay out of these Civil War debates for the most part, but I
guess I am going to get involved.  My understanding is that both Free
Soil ideology as well as southern apologetics for slavery understood
the notion of freezing the territory of slavery as being its eventual
death knell.  I think that if you look at the history of Brazil and
Cuba, this theory is not so strong.  But it seems that the belief in
such a theory by the actors at the time is more important.  It has
been a while since I have read this stuff, so if I am wrong on this
ideological construct, please feel to correct me.
     As for the second point, it is also interesting that the first US
textile mills were tied to both the production of cloth from the
cotton produced on the plantation, but were also directed towards
producing cheap clothing for the slaves.

                               robert wood