[Marxism] Los Angeles working class movements

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 13:14:33 MDT 2006

To continue on to be successful as at present, a broad movement
which can continue to mobilize millions is needed. Approaching the
leadership of today's big mobilizations as "political opponents" isn't
quite the way to win their support, participation, resources or to ask
them up to the platform to speak, as is indispensible at this initial,
beginning, preliminary, preparatory, opening moments of what can
only be an extended struggle.

The whole idea that this protest should be escalated is about as
counter-productive as it could be. "We", thomas munzer insists,
need to "fight for them [sic] to mobilize their own [sick] workers
and also raise class demands", as if the demands being raised today
ARE NOT class demands? As if the workers here and now aren't doing
an excellent job of self-organization as it is! We're experiencing the
largest working class mobilization in this country, probably since the
end of World War II, and we're being told that this struggle is today
being led by "political opponents"?????

What's next: demanding an open border. No, sorry, an immediate,
unilateral and unconditionally open border, NOW?

Walter
p.s. This is reminscent of the incident when the indiginous had the Lone
Ranger and Tonto surrounded. The Long Ranger said to his sidekick:
"We're surrounded, Kimosabe! What are we going to do?" Tonto replied:

"What you mean WE, white man"...

p.p.s: "Thomas Munzer", is that a real name?
http://www.nndb.com/people/621/000094339/

It sure reads a lot like "Rubinelli"...

But it should be pointed out that the L.A. labor "leaders" are our
political opponents and that the revolutionaries in the movement who
have connections with rank-and-file union workers need to come
together and propose a more militant perspective based on interracial
working class unity.

Maria Elena Durazo who Walter mentions (the hotel workers UNITE-HERE
local 11) is a perfect face for the L.A. labor bureaucracy precisely
because she represents its most militant wing - she is left cover as
her husband was before he died. Local 11 has done a lot under her
leadership but at the same time she is not going to come out against
the team concept. She is not going to come out against the
relationship with the Democrats. She is not going to come out against
Ted Kennedy and the Democrats vicious counter-proposal to HR4437. She
will stand on the stage with the Democrats and the bureaucrats and
call for unity under the leadership of the reformist apparatus.
---------------------
The movement's leaders right now are raising a very limited set of
demands revolving around amnesty. We need to fight for them to
mobilize their own workers and also raise class demands that draw in
the black and white workers who have largely stood to the side of the
movement so they see this as THEIR movement. So the movement would
infect wider layers of workers. These types of demands should be
added: a living wage for all workers. Free good public health care
for all workers. A jobs creation program that would create decent
jobs that would support families and address the problems of poverty
gangs and unemployment plaguing working class communities. It should
be repeated over and over again that crisis of immigrant workers is a
crisis of all working families in the U.S. and that we should all
unite.

FULL (of...)
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2006-April/041040.html

DEMOCRACY NOW! DAILY EMAIL DIGEST
April 11, 2006

= = = = = = = = =

TODAY'S DEMOCRACY NOW!:

* Immigrant Rights Protests Rock the Country: Up to 2 Million Take to the
Streets in the Largest Wave of Demonstrations in U.S. History *

In an unprecedented wave of protests, as many as two million people took to
the streets Monday in more than 100 cities and towns around the country to
march for immigrant rights. We hear some of the speakers at the largest
rallies in New York and Washington and we speak with some of the
demonstrators about why they are taking to the streets.

Listen/Watch/Read

* Publisher of Texas Spanish-Language Daily on Immigrant Protests: "This is
a Personal Issue...A True Political Mobilization" *

Texas has seen some of the largest immigrant rights protests over the past
three days. On Sunday over a half-million people filled the streets of
Dallas in the city's largest civil rights march ever. We go to Dallas to
speak with Gilbert Bailon, publisher and editor of Al Dia, a
Spanish-language daily that serves North Texas.

Listen/Watch/Read

* Dallas High School Student Describes Organizing Mass Walkout *

We speak with Gustavo Jimenez, a junior at Duncanville High School who
helped lead a student walk-out in Dallas last month that saw thousands of
students leave classes to protest proposed anti-immigrant legislation.

Listen/Watch/Read

* Eighth Grader Commits Suicide After Being Threatened by School Official
With Jail Time for Organizing Walkouts *

An eighth grader in California killed himself two weeks ago after being
threatened by a school official for participating in the student immigrant
rights walkouts. Anthony Soltero, 14, died after he shot himself in the head
on March 30th. We speak with the attorney representing Soltero's mother.

Listen/Watch/Read

* Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson Reacts to Unprecedented Immigrant
Rights March *

In Salt Lake City, as many as 25,000 people took to the streets on Sunday to
march for immigrants rights in what may have been Utah's largest
demonstration ever. We speak with Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson.

Listen/Watch/Read

* Immigrant Rights Marches Likened to Second Civil Rights Movement *

Many are likening the extraordinary national mobilization for immigrant
rights to a second civil rights movement. We go to Birmingham, Alabama to
speak with the Rev. Lawton Higgs of the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference.

Listen/Watch/Read