[Marxism] What should revolutionaries do in the Latino immigrant movement?

Prem K Govindaswamy govi0006 at umn.edu
Wed Apr 12 13:31:43 MDT 2006

On 12 Apr 2006, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Joaqu=EDn_Bustelo?= wrote:
> And for the big majority of participants on this =
> list, I
> have a very concrete, specific answer: you should do NOTHING "in" this
> movement. Nada. Zip.
>
> I think that comrades who are not immigrants and especially are not
> Latinos
> should first understand reality: YOU ARE NOT PART OF THIS MOVEMENT.
>
> You are, or should be, supporters and an allies of this movement, and in
> loose sort of way we might say we're ALL part of this movement and
> that's
> right, that's great, in fact.
>
> But viewed more specifically and narrowly, as a social force trying to
> organize itself, THIS movement is a movement of, by and for Latino
> immigrants. Respect its character, respect the integrity of the
> movement,
> even if the reformists and labor officials and politicians and
> non-profiteers don't. Act like you really mean it when you say you
> support
> the right of oppressed peoples to SELF-determination.

  With no disrespect or hostility intended, in Minneapolis and St. Paul,
whenever the Marches are announced, they are billed as "Immigrant Rights
March", not "Latino Immigrant Rights March, Fuck You to East African and
Hmong Immigrants." In the Twin Cities, there are huge concentrations of
Hmong, Somali, Eritrean, and Ethiopian Immigrants. The E. African Community
made a strong effort last fall to support the local Northwest strike and
not to cross the picket lines. As for the Hmong, although the older
generation has some attachments to anti-communist sentiment, the younger
generation is increasingly abandoning their parents dogma as they identify
themselves with leftism and the working class, and realize this
anti-communist dogma has become self-destructive. Although the recent
immigrant rights march on Sunday in the Twin Cities was mostly Latino, let
us ask how much more powerful would it have been if there was a conceted
effort to reach out to the E.African and Hmong Immigrants, both of which
are mainly in the working class? Also how about reaching out to the Black
community? Even though there were at least 30,000 people at the march, I
saw that few weren't Latino, and looking back, I wonder why there wasn't a
large contingent of the other two immigrant groups.
   JB's comments remind me of my high school where the large body of ESL
students, mainly SE Asian and Latin American would engage in all sorts of
fights and seemed to hate each others' guts. They also didn't really
integrate well with the school's large black population or the "white" one
for that matter. (I really hate using the terms black and white)
 With all due respect to JB, a look at Malcolm X's second answer in the
following document is a an apt comparison.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/070.html