[Marxism] Sheehan Returns to Protest Near Bush Ranch

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Apr 13 08:18:30 MDT 2006

 From t r u t h o u t

	Editors Note: Gold Star mom Cindy Sheehan and hundreds of others
have returned to Crawford, Texas to protest the war in Iraq. The 5 days of
vigils and rallies will be highlighted by a sunrise Easter service performed
by the Reverend Joseph Lowery. Lowery cofounded the Southern Christian
Leadership Conference with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. TruthOut Managing
Editor Scott Galindez will be reporting from Crawford.

    Go to Original <http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Peace-Mom.html>

    Sheehan Returns to Protest Near Bush Ranch
    By The Associated Press

    Wednesday 12 April 2006

    Crawford, Texas - Peace activist Cindy Sheehan returned to Texas on
Wednesday for another war protest near President Bush's ranch, although he
was to spend the weekend at Camp David.

    The anti-war demonstrators accused Bush, who has spent every Easter at
his Crawford ranch since he was elected, of running from them and their
message to bring the U.S. troops home from Iraq immediately.

    "We chased him away from his ranch," said Sheehan, whose son Casey was
killed in Iraq in 2004. "We protest all over the country without him being
in attendance, so I don't think it takes away (from this vigil) a bit
because he never met with us anyway. It wasn't even like we ever sat down
and had sweet tea together."

    But the White House said Bush's plans had nothing to do with the
protesters and that he often spends holidays at Camp David with his family.

    "The president looks forward to returning to Crawford whenever
possible," said a White House spokesman, Blair Jones. "It's the right of the
American people to peacefully express their views. The president welcomes
the opinions of all Americans."

    The group's third Crawford protest in less than a year includes
candlelight vigils, a rally and a march. The Rev. Joseph Lowery, who
co-founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference with Martin Luther
King Jr., is to speak at a sunrise Easter Sunday service.

    "We're going to do what we do all the time: gather together in peace,"
Sheehan said. "We're going to call for George Bush and the neo-cons not to
invade Iran. That would be a mistake even worse than Iraq. Our children are
sitting ducks in the Middle East; the people of Iran and Iraq would be
sitting ducks. And I'm not even sure that this invasion won't lead to World
War III. So it's something that we have to stop before it starts."

    The U.N. Security Council has ordered Iran to stop enriching uranium by
April 28, and the chief nuclear inspector heads to Iran for talks Friday to
try to resolve the international standoff. Secretary of State Condoleezza
Rice called on the Security Council to consider "strong steps" against Iran.
The U.S. wants sanctions because it fears Iran aims for nuclear weapons.

    Sheehan came to the one-stoplight, 700-resident town of Crawford Aug. 6
after speaking at a Veterans for Peace convention in Dallas.

    Sheehan and about 50 others marched toward Bush's ranch and a few camped
out in ditches, vowing to remain until he answered her questions about the
war with Iraq. Two of his top aides met with Sheehan that first day, but
Bush never did during his monthlong working vacation.

    Her 26-day vigil drew some 10,000 protesters and grew to two camps,
including a larger, one-acre lot donated by a sympathetic landowner.

    The protest also upset locals who complained of traffic congestion on
the winding, two-lane road. It also drew thousands of Bush supporters who
set up a counter camp and said Sheehan was hurting troop morale.

    Sheehan and a few hundred anti-war demonstrators returned to Crawford
for a second war protest during Thanksgiving week while Bush was again at
his ranch