[Marxism] Mozart, Da Ponte, revolution

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 14 06:48:04 MDT 2006

>Last week my wife and son and I attended a satisfactory performance of Don
>Giovanni at New York City Opera -- we can afford to do this maybe once a
>year given the outrageous ticket prices. Despite the tameness of Harold
>Prince's staging the theme of class struggle comes through loud and clear
>(premiere was in 1787). Found myself wondering how the opera's premiere
>was received by aristocrats and others in the audience -- anyone know any
>reliable sources on this, and on the librettist Lorenzo Da Ponte?
>
>Jake

I would recommend Maynard Solomon's biographies of both Mozart and
Beethoven. Besides being a musicologist, Solomon was the head of Vanguard
Records in the 1950s when it was one of the few outlets extant for leftist
folksingers. My guess is that he was sympathetic to the CP or perhaps even
a member at one time.

--

www.marxmail.org