[Marxism] Mozart, Da Ponte, revolution

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sat Apr 15 00:34:39 MDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:37:54 -0400, Jacob Levich wrote:

> I have similarly vague memories of an excellent mid-80s television
film of
> the Marriage of Figaro . It's set in the Trump Tower with The Donald
as
> Count Almaviva; Figaro is his driver. Cherubino is an androgynous
teenaged
> punk with short spiky hair, so the gender-bending stuff works very
well.
> This must have been the Peter Sellars version -- whatever it was, it
was
> absolutely terrific.

   Yes, this is the Peter Sellars production. But I found it not so
convincing. Nice idea, but... directly transposing an historic conflict
into another society doesn't work so well. The Marriage of Figaro deals
quite explicitly with the transition from feudal, aristocratic epoch to
bourgeois society.

  There was also his "Cosí fan tutte" in an American Diner, and a Don
Giovanni in the Bronx.

  I have the VHS recordings of them somewhere.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany