[Marxism] Mozart, Da Ponte, revolution

Jacob Levich jlevich at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 15 08:11:53 MDT 2006

Depends on whether or not it's done intelligently. Some counterexamples that
spring to mind: Orson Welles' 1938 modern-dress Julius Caesar (you can hear
a radio version of this on the Web at http://www.mercurytheatre.info/),
which by most accounts worked brilliantly as an attack on fascism, and of
course Brecht's updating of John Gay's Beggar's Opera. (Brecht's Coriolanus
revamp is supposed to be terrific, though I suppose that doesn't count as a
_direct_ transposition of a historical conflict)

Jake

From: "Lüko Willms" <lueko.willms at t-online.de>