[Marxism] Re: Demand for an open border

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sun Apr 16 02:26:11 MDT 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:13:41 -0400, Fred Feldman wrote:

> Putting forward Open Borders as though it were an agitational slogan
for
> immediate action smacks of trying to one-up the movement and prove our
> fitness to lead it by the perfection and absoluteness of our slogans.

  Nonetheless, one should explain in discussions that

a) humanity has always migrated across the whole planet, and would
otherwise not exist;

b) that the USA is a country of immigrants, and that all of "the
founding fathers" have "migratory background", and that this was only
possible because North America had open borders back than, when the
Mayflower arrived (I found the explations given by Villaraigosa in the
interview which Walter Lippmann cited quite amusing: "This country
has struggled for most of its history with immigration issues,
frequently with great difficulty" -- well it is a country of
immigrants);

c) that the NAFTA, ALCA, and however all these "free trade" pacts of the
USA with other countries in America do provide for at least some freedom
of movement for capital and commodities, and so should provide for
freedom of movement for the commodity labor power, too.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany