[Marxism] Black activist Kabaka Oba, gunned down in Cincinnatti, dies

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Apr 16 18:47:14 MDT 2006

Does anyone know more about this incident and

www.guardian.co.uk
Black Activist Shot in Cincinnati Dies
Does anyone have more info re this event, and about the activities of
Kabaka Oba?

Sunday April 16, 2006 9:46 PM

CINCINNATI (AP) - A black activist shot on a sidewalk outside City Hall
after speaking to the City Council has died, his family said.

Michael Bailey died Saturday at University Hospital, three days after he
was shot in the leg, arm and chest, relatives said in a news conference.

``Not only has Cincinnati lost a great leader, I have lost my best
friend,'' said Ted Bailey, his brother. ``My brother did fight a very,
very valiant fight. He died with dignity.''

Police did not respond to calls Saturday and Sunday seeking comment on
whether an assault charge against the man accused of the shooting would
be upgraded.

Howard Beatty, 52, surrendered to police and was charged with felonious
assault a few hours after the shooting.

Police have said Bailey, a Cincinnati Metro bus driver who went by the
name Gen. Kabaka Oba, had a restraining order to keep Beatty at least
500 feet away, but the reason for the restraining order was not known.

Beatty's lawyer, Ken Lawson, has said Bailey threatened Beatty during or
after a local TV appearance on April 9. Lawson said his client was
acting in self-defense when he met Bailey by chance outside City Hall.

Ted Bailey called for calm following his brother's death.

``Lay down your arms,'' he said. ``It's in God's hands now. If you are
supporting me and my family, you are not going to pick up any arms and
you are not going through this city tearing up anything. We stand for
nonviolence.''