[Marxism] Re:Iraq-Iran

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 16 20:34:27 MDT 2006

>Poor countries of course, will be up the creek. But that is not a major
>concern for them.
>
>Jon Flanders

I don't know. I was just listening to Matt Drudge for a few minutes on WABC
talk radio and he was ranting about the fact that he had to pay $3 for a
gallon of gas for the first time in his life while the chairman of Exxon
gets a $400 million retirement package. As you may or may not know, Drudge
is a hard-line Bush supporter. In fact, I think one of the main reasons
that Bush's popularity has dropped is the increasing cost of gasoline and
home heating oil. Unless the bourgeoisie can guarantee find a way to make
oil cheap again, there will be rumbling in the ranks. And what happens when
they hike it to $4 or $5 per gallon while wasting billions on overseas
adventures in the East or South? The working class remained fairly
quiescent during the Vietnam war because the material conditions of life
remained fairly high. What happens if that changes in a fundamental way?
And what happens if they continue to attack the trade union movement like
they are doing with the UAW? Also, what happens if the TWU in NYC loses its
checkoff, as appears to be fairly certain at this point. I'd say all bets
are off.