[Marxism] Re:Iraq-Iran

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Sun Apr 16 21:04:30 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:34 -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:
> In fact, I think one of the main reasons
> that Bush's popularity has dropped is the increasing cost of gasoline
> and
> home heating oil. Unless the bourgeoisie can guarantee find a way to
> make
> oil cheap again, there will be rumbling in the ranks. And what happens
> when
> they hike it to $4 or $5 per gallon while wasting billions on
> overseas
> adventures in the East or South?

Without a doubt, higher prices for gasoline get the attention of the
more conservative layers of the working class. Sometimes I think that is
they only thing that will get them off the sports pages.

However, what kind of response will there be in these suburbanized
layers of the working class? Anti-capitalism? Or will it be in JH
Kunstler's phrase, "corn pone nazi" politics?

The notion of a birthright when it comes to the automobile runs very
deep in the USA. Not to mention that out of the major metropolitan areas
like NYC, not having a car or a license is nothing short of a
catastrophe.

Jon Flanders