[Marxism] An inspiring example of courage

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 08:41:42 MDT 2006

April 21, 2006
NYC
What Did You Do in the War, Grandma?
By CLYDE HABERMAN
THE NEW YORK TIMES

NO ageism is intended, but we're willing to lay heavy odds that it
has been a long while since the Manhattan district attorney, Robert
M. Morgenthau, found someone older than he is to take to court.

Bear in mind that Mr. Morgenthau is 86. He has held his job for so
long that it sometimes feels as if he began before they invented
Ovaltine. How many 90-year-old drug dealers or mob hit men cross his
path?

Yesterday, things changed. The district attorney's office pursued a
criminal case against a band of women, some of them old enough to
call Mr. Morgenthau "sonny."

Not that Marie Runyon, 91, is what you'd call a hardened criminal.
Nor is Molly Klopot, 87, nor Lillian Rydell, 86. Nor, for that
matter, are any of 15 other women - a few of them practically kids,
no older than 61 or 62 - who went on trial yesterday in Manhattan
Criminal Court, charged with disorderly conduct.

The Granny Peace Brigade, they call themselves. Last October, they
descended on the armed forces recruiting station in Times Square.
They wanted to enlist, they said. They've been around. Send them to
Iraq, they demanded, instead of some 20-year-old who has barely
tasted life.

When the military, shockingly, showed no interest in signing them up,
this Walker and Cane Brigade held a sit-in. The police ordered them
to leave. They refused. So officers young enough to be their
great-grandchildren handcuffed them gently and put them under arrest.

Obviously, theirs was an exercise in street theater, intended to draw
cameras and scribblers to record their opposition to the war in Iraq.
The tactic worked. Grandmothers being hauled away in a police wagon
is what we in the news business call a story.

While the style was somewhat whimsical, the grannies' message could
not have been more serious. A similar mixture of soberness and good
cheer was evident yesterday at a pretrial pep rally outside the
Criminal Court building on Centre Street. Sure, there were
denunciations of the war. But there were also photos of grandchildren
and great-grandchildren hanging from strings around the women's
necks.

The mood was a contrast to much of the political dialogue these days
- simultaneous monologues, really, often about as witty as a Pat
Robertson fatwa. The grannies are "positive, upbeat, respectful,
loving America," said their lawyer, Norman Siegel, who added, "But
they also recognize that we have some fundamental problems that need
to be overcome."

The nonjury trial that got under way yesterday, before Judge Neil E.
Ross, did not have to be. Mr. Morgenthau's office proposed a plea
deal that would have allowed the dismissal of the charges in six
months provided the grannies, forgive us, kept their noses clean. But
the women insisted on their day in court, hoping for a chance to
speak against the war from the witness stand.

"We are at a very important point in the history of our country," Ms.
Klopot said. "It is our responsibility as patriots not to be silent."

Whether Judge Ross will give her a courtroom soapbox remains to be
seen. As far as the prosecution is concerned, Iraq is a nonstarter.
"It's not about the war," Amy Miller, an assistant district attorney,
told the judge. "It's about disorderly conduct."

That's not how Mr. Siegel saw it. The purpose of the protest was "to
alert an apathetic public," he said to Judge Ross.

He also argued that the grannies did not entirely block access to the
recruiting center, a point conceded by police officers who testified.
And so, Mr. Siegel contended, the order for the women to clear out
was not lawful. They had "acted on principle," he said, "in a great
American tradition of peaceful, nonviolent protest."

Then again, a guiding principle of nonviolent protest is that one
must be prepared to suffer the consequences. Age should not matter.

If convicted, each of the women could be fined $250 and sent to jail
for 15 days. Are they prepared to do the time? Absolutely, said one
of the younger defendants, Jenny Heinz, 61. "A number of us have made
a decision that we will not accept fines or community service."

Of course, a guilty verdict would have to come first. Then Judge
Ross, 46, would have to decide if sending some women nearly twice his
age to the slammer is really how he wants to be remembered.

E-mail: haberman at nytimes.com