[Marxism] McGovern remains anti-war

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 21 09:08:34 MDT 2006

(The hourlong address included his thoughts on Cuba - "we need to
recognize them and start trading with them. If we recognize China,
a communist country, then we should do the same with Cuba")

http://www.sgvtribune.com/search/ci_3733143

McGovern remains anti-war
Former candidate wants U.S. out of Iraq

By Caroline An
Staff Writer
Whittier Daily News

LA VERNE - If George McGovern were campaigning for president today,
his platform would consist of one message: Get out of Iraq.

The 1972 Democratic presidential candidate and former senator spoke
on diplomacy at the University of La Verne on Thursday. The
83-year-old compared the current Iraq conflict to the Vietnam War,
citing both as examples of "a failure in diplomacy."

"We lost more than 58,000 brave Americans during Vietnam," McGovern
said. "The appropriate diplomacy would have been to call in people
with knowledge about the country, its history and use some common
sense. There would have been a strong case to not send in troops then."

McGovern, a senator from South Dakota, devoted his presidential
campaign to the message of withdrawing troops from Vietnam. He lost
the 1972 election to incumbent Richard Nixon, winning only 17 of 538
possible electoral votes.

McGovern cited several U.S. missteps in Vietnam, including failure to
acknowledge the power of Vietnamese revolutionary and president Ho
Chi Minh. Minh wrote a series of letters to President Harry Truman
asking for American assistance in gaining Vietnamese independence
from France, but no U.S. official ever replied, McGovern said.

"We didn't show an appreciation for this young revolutionary," he
said.

The current war in Iraq, McGovern said, is an even stronger example
of poor diplomacy. By not having the support of the United Nations
and several countries of the European Union, especially France and
Germany, the Bush administration forced itself into a "hopeless
conflict" that won't be resolved unless troops are withdrawn, he
said.

"I have never been more disappointed in our leadership than today,"
he acknowledged.

He fears that with the rising number of insurgents attacking U.S.
troops, more lives will be lost. If the United States doesn't have an
exit strategy and troops are still there in another two to three
years, he predicted the violence will escalate sharply.

The U.S. reputation has also suffered in the eyes of the world, he
added.

"I'm not suggesting cutting and running, but I don't see us staying
there for 10 years," he said.

His criticism of the war extended to members of the Democratic party,
including 2004 presidential candidate Sen. John F. Kerry, D-Mass.,
who voted in favor of the war.

The hourlong address included his thoughts on Cuba - "we need to
recognize them and start trading with them. If we recognize China, a
communist country, then we should do the same with Cuba" - to the
current state of the Democratic party - "they lack a little spine and
should pursue a vigorous agenda versus the mealy-mouthed approach
they have now."

caroline.an at dailybulletin.com

(909) 483-8553