[Marxism] US Presidents acting nuts

govi0006 at umn.edu govi0006 at umn.edu
Fri Apr 21 13:51:56 MDT 2006

On Apr 20 2006, Louis Proyect wrote:

> This morning my eyes popped out as I was reading Paul Kane's call for
> reinstating the draft on the op-ed page of the NY Times.

Wouldn't instating the draft actually provide a sort of "shot in the arm"
for the antiwar mov't? One of the main reasons the antiwar movement in the
US is faltering (besides the antiwar orgs. fealty to the Democrats) is that
a large part of the US population aren't themselves directly threatened
with being shipped off to Iraq (not counting those in the military due to
the poverty draft). If there is a draft, it would certainly boost the
antiwar mov't in this country quite a bit, and augment the immigrant rights
movement and everything else trememdously.
  Couldn't it be said that the US rulers reluctance to instate a draft be
the one politically shrewd movement they've made in terms of stamping out
the antiwar mov't?