[Marxism] Engels on 'relative autonomy'

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Sat Apr 22 05:00:37 MDT 2006

I have been looking through lots of Engels' late letters on the question of the relative autonomy of art (and science, philosophy, etc.). Plenty of information here on this dialectical formation (arguably made more so by 20th century Western Marxists - Adorno, Gramsci, Althusser, etc.). But I can't find the specific phrase 'relative autonomy' - can anyone direct me to the specific letter/text where Engels uses this phrase, if indeed he does (and point out the German original, if he was writing in German at the time)?

Also, various opinions by posters to this group on the most important of both Marx and Engels' writings on degrees of superstructual autonomy would be most appreciated (apart from the obvious ones like the Preface to the Contribution to a Critique of Political Economy and The German Ideology).

Solidarity,
Ian