[Marxism] Comment on "The War Tapes" to my blog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 22 15:11:44 MDT 2006

(At least on the basis of her email id, the commenter appears to be female,
I might add.)

I came to this site from the link that you posted in the comments of The
War Tapes blog.  I have to say that this entry has made me more interested
in the film than the actual film site.  As a National Guardsman, I had been
whinging about whether or not I really wanted to check this film out.  I
didn't know if I wanted to see real soldiers being real on camera for the
world to see.  It made me cringe thinking about it.  For me, there is
always a conflict of what I want civilians to see of my Army personality
and what I don't want them to see.  I don't want people to see my soldier
side as some "other" that is so different from them that they don't
identify in some way with it.  Soldiers are real people, but when we get
deployed the "normal" part of our thoughts and behaviors gets altered or
suspended altogether.  This complexity is difficult to explore using only
words - I hope that this film has captured at least a bit of this aspect of
being a soldier.