[Marxism] Charcoal

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Apr 23 09:00:47 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:23 Apr 2006, a las 6:12

> The Bolivian gov't objected to the mill on envriormental grounds.
> According the one and only article on bolpress.com that I find, it
> seems the mill is going to be fired by charcoal (something I find hard
> to believe). Charcoal production is very detrimental to the ecology as
> it takes lots of trees to produce it releases tons of carbon, etc.
> Some steel makers will use charcoal because of chemical properties
> that make it particularly 'clean' and has been used for speciality
> steel. At any rate, the villiagers there *revolted* against the
> gov't's anti-mill position, they wanted it built. They kidnapped some
> gov't ministers in protest (who were later released).

The project runs on charcoal, yes.  The environmental costs would be
appalling.  "Villageers" who rise against the Bol govm"t are in fact
members of the higher ranks of these miserable communities, organized
and hegemonized by the Santa Cruz separatists.  The proposal seeks to
counter the Bolivian proposal to use Bolivian gas to industrialize
Bolivian iron at the Mutum iron ore Eldorado.  Across the frontier,
and along the Urucum range of hills, there is a Brazilian steel
plant, which would have engulfed the Brazilian project of Bolivia.

The whole thing seeks to keep Bolivian gas for the corporate
interests in São Paulo, not for Bolivia.

But Latin America needs a strong steel producing area around the
Mutum, with all the industries that begin there.  The Brazilian,
"state-owned", but "privately managed" much in the sense of former
PDVSA in Venezuela, company (the largest state-owned steel mill in
South America, the Companhia do Vale do Rio Doce, has been privatized
by F.H.Cardoso), resorted to Santa Cruz separatism against Bolivia
and its decission to industrialize gas and iron through a Mexican-
generated process in Mutum.

I think that one does not need to probe too deep in the class issues
involved to understand where should a serious radical stand on this
issue.

With Morales, with the Bolivian poor, with Latin American union, and
with the Amazon forest.

Against the charcoal-based plant, believe it our friend, or not.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]