[Marxism] Arthur Schlesinger Jr.: "Bush's Thousand Days"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 08:17:13 MDT 2006

A friend and subscriber of mine passed this on to me earlier today.

Like Brezinski, Arthur Schlesinger was also part of the government in
Washington, and afterwards was and remains an advice-giver to those
in office, if not in power. It's a very good sign that these people today
are warning Bush against a pre-emptive strike against Iran. I think it
is by no means certain that there will be such a strike, and everything
possible should be done to prevent it, including publicizing comments
like these, which can contribute to and build deeper public opposition
to such a strike. While broad public opposition didn't stop Washington
from invading Iraq, the public is looking at these things differently in
light of the revelations of Washington's "weapons of mass destruction"
lies and the rest of the legal "case" which was cooked-up to justify the
invasion and occupation of Iraq. I'm tempted now to put "occupation"
in quotes since it's coming asunder as we watch and write. Someone
of Schlesinger's ilk is trying to frame this as Washington's victory over
the Soviet Union, of course. Schlesinger's, like Brezinski's are voices
which can be heard and circulated widely in official discussion forums
within the United States, and I certainly hope that it is. We can save
discussion and debate over the events of October 1962 for later in a
more leisurely forum.

Walter Lippmann

BREZINSKI:
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2006-April/041399.html