Re: [Marxism] Chávez Plans to Take More Control Of Oil Away From Foreign Firms

sartesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 19:36:01 MDT 2006

For the record, I really don't think there is evidence to support the
notion that continental integration is underway in Latin America.
Current economic data points to just the opposite conclusion.
Colombias's medical students to the contrary notwithstanding, Colombia's
military pushes forward againt guerrillas and indigenous peoples
throughout the Putumayo and other regions, and into the Sucumbios and
Orellana areas of Ecuador.  Uruguay has more or less pronounced Mercosur
dead, and has negotiated a separate trade deal with the US.

The emerging, and emerged, social movements certainly require such
continental integration, but as of yet, those movements' desires are not
truly manifest in the economic actions of their governments.

I do not find evidence that continental integration is sweeping the
continent, unless we're measuring it by speeches, rhetoric, and
displays.