[Marxism] Fwd: New at Seven Oaks Magazine

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 24 21:02:06 MDT 2006

New at Seven Oaks Magazine:
This week, John Riddell reviews the state of the Cuban revolution, and
explores the future for Cuba.  With Fidel Castro aging, a debate has begun
in Cuba around what will be done after his death.  Riddell fills us in on
what’s at stake, and some ideas for the future, in
<http://www.sevenoaksmag.com/features/cubarenewal.html>Cuba Seeks
Revolutionary Renewal:

         Speaking last fall on the sixtieth anniversary of his admission to
the University of Havana, Cuba’s president [Fidel Castro] responded to the
imperialists’ "transition plans and military action plans" by challenging
his compatriots to develop their own plans for the revolution's future.

His speech has set off what Cuban Foreign Minister Filipe Perez Roque has
called "an intense debate across the entire country," in factories, work
collectives, farmers cooperatives, streets, and neighborhoods.

While Riddell investigates the state of one of the American empire’s
greatest opponents, Ramzy Baroud explains why the serious mistakes the
American government has made in the Middle East may spell
<http://www.sevenoaksmag.com/commentary/declineofempire.html>the beginning
of the end for American international hegemony.

         The miscalculated policies of the US administration in the Middle
East are quickly undermining the country’s ability to sustain its once
unchallenged global position. Winds of change are blowing everywhere, and
there is little that Washington’s ideologues can do to stop it.

Meanwhile, closer to home, Rachel Johndrow explores
<http://www.sevenoaksmag.com/commentary/naturevancouver.html>The Production
of Nature in Vancouver, as we enter another busy summer of tourism.

         In this way, nature again becomes useful in that it is solely for
human consumption­in fact, it is a way of dominating nature for our own
desires or goals
Establishing a specific ‘gaze’ of nature keeps it
compartmentalized in our minds, and in our lives.  Moreover, viewing or
gazing at nature from afar, clearly outweighs living amongst it.  Those who
live in basement apartments in the city, infested with spiders, moss, and
the occasional misdirected pigeon, often are eager to separate themselves
from nature, when they have a real job and aren’t forced to live in a
‘crappy, infested’ apartment.  We’re simply waiting for our moment to
escape co-existing with nature in our everyday living spaces­and ‘Condo
Kings’ are more than happy to oblige us.

Seven Oaks
A magazine of politics, culture, and resistance
info at sevenoaksmag.com
http://www.sevenoaksmag.com/