[Marxism] Chinese tourists visit Karl Marx's house

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Apr 26 12:30:46 MDT 2006

Lüko Willms :
   Well, Trier has some of the oldest built structures in Germany, the Roman
Porta Nigra from the 2nd or 3rd century of the Christian Era being the most
prominent. See e.g. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Nigra>
and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier>.

^^^^^^

CB: I must admit that I'd like to go on an archaeology dig sometime. And it
was interesting to visit the old city of Rome when I was a high school Latin
student. However, if I was touring today, I don't think old Roman and
Christian ruins would be number one on my list of attractions or "a worthy
destination by any standard" , as R. Bernstein put it.
:>)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Nigra> reminds of the Colesium.

If I visited Trier, it would be to see KM's birthplace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl-Marx-Haus

Karl Marx House
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Karl-Marx-Haus)

Karl Marx HouseThe Karl Marx House museum (German: Karl-Marx-Haus) is the
house in Trier (Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany) in which Karl Marx was born
in 1818; it is now a museum. The house was at first forgotten about until
1918. Then the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD) worked hard to buy
it, and was able to do so in 1928. After the NSDAP came into power in 1933,
the building was confiscated and turned into a printing house.

On May 5, 1947 the building was opened as a museum of the life and works of
Karl Marx. In 1968 it was integrated into the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, a
charity foundation closely aligned with the SPD. On March 14, 1983, on the
100th anniversary of Marx's death, the museum was re-opened after having
been renovated for a whole year. It had now expanded to three floors.

In 2005, the Karl Marx House museum was again closed for three months and
was re-opened on June 9, the re-opening was attended by celebrities such as
Anke Fuchs, Franz Müntefering, Kurt Beck, and Helmut Schröer. The exhibition
now also included the history of communism in the Soviet Union, China,
Central and Eastern Europe. The Karl Marx House museum now receives about
32,000 visitors a year, about a third of whom are tourists from China, for
whom it is one of the main attractions in Germany.