[Marxism] Racism in football

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Thu Apr 27 16:08:55 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:27 Apr 2006, a las 12:00

> > Enough raving for the day... Onward Arsenal to the
> > Champion's League Final. I would like to support
> > Barca, but the racism in Spanish sport is too much!
>
> Really? Worse than UK football?? Barca!! Eto'o eres
> campion!

There are _more_ racist teams than Barça in Spain, indeed.  And there
are others, more worthy of support than Barça for those who look
after the underdog.  The Villarreal, for instance.

As to racism in European soccer, I would look at that Italian team
(don't remember if Roma or Lazio) that Berlusconi sponsors (or owns).

Ah, and on "jogo bonito":  we all love it, and Brazilians too.  All
of us (Brazilians too) would like it to return.  Commodification of
football is so advanced (even the yellow and red cards of the
referees will be sponsored this year), transformation of clubs into
commercial societies so deep, that there is increasingly less room
for creativity and beauty, more for athletic efficiency.  In a sense
we are returning, on a different techno level, to the early years of
the 20th Century, when the English and Scottish players of football
brought it to South America and systematically beat the locals (on
sheer strength and health condition), until these invented the
thousand-plus-one tricks that generated South American football.

We Argentineans are always glad when a South American team wins the
Cup.  And if it is Brazil, so be it.  But, as some Argentinean
commentator said during the last WC, which Brazil won, "Well, the
Europeans have won again".  I would like to stress that this would be
true even if Argentina (which is most unlikely) won.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]