[Marxism] Doug Henwood on university expansionism (from pen-l)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 28 14:18:33 MDT 2006

Louis Proyect wrote:

>For me the interesting question, which does not really surface that
>much in discussions around the proposed expansion, is what forces
...snip...
>student by far than other leading research universities (compare
>Yale at 866 sq. ft., Princeton at 828 sq. ft. and Harvard at 673 sq.
>ft.)."

I'm sitting next to an article I clipped from the Yale Alumni
Magazine, March/April 2006. It's an interview with Yale president
Rick Levin (like Summers, an economist, though a much less
distinguished one), whose headline asks the question, "Can Yale be
too rich?" You won't be surprised to learn the answer is "No."

How rich is Yale? There's the $11 billion endowment, of course
(apropos Lou's diagnosis of penis envy, it's interesting that the
same word is used to describe a university's cash hoard as a man's
genital package). Another measure: Yale is so rich that they've got
endowed chairs that are empty because they can't meet the terms of
the bequest. A chair in railroad technology was empty for more than
30 years because no one was doing appropriate research. But, god be
thanked, they recently found someone who was doing research on
maglev, and gave him the professorship. And CUNY professors have to
bring their own chalk to class because the university can't afford to
provide it.

Doug

--

www.marxmail.org