[Marxism] marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy, El Pato Comunista mqduck at sonic.net
Fri Apr 28 20:23:07 MDT 2006

Fucking amazing. I can't believe my own father isn't sure if he agrees
or not. There's a version of the national anthem in Spanish coming out
and Bush decries it by saying "I think the national anthem ought to be
sung in English". If the vast majority of people aren't disgusted by
this, I give up on humanity.

Bush thinks national anthem should be sung in English
BY MARK SILVA
Chicago Tribune

WASHINGTON - President Bush said Friday that "The Star Spangled Banner"
should be sung in English and that the national anthem would not hold
the same value when sung in Spanish.

"I think the national anthem ought to be sung in English," Bush said, in
response to a question at a Rose Garden news conference. "People who
want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English, and they
ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

The president's remarks come as a Spanish-language pop version of "The
Star Spangled Banner" is being circulated to Spanish-language radio
stations, with proceeds from the single "Nuestro Himno" supporting
national marches of organizations rallying for immigration reform that
could lead to citizenship for millions of undocumented workers in the
United States.

Bush, a Republican who has found some success in courting the
traditionally Democratic Hispanic vote in Texas and in two presidential
campaigns, likes to pepper his speeches with an occasional Spanish word
or phrase. So the assertion that "The Star Spangled Banner" needs no
translation could have a jarring ring to some Latinos who have heeded
his call.

But a president struggling with low approval ratings has found firm
political ground with this position, experts on the Hispanic vote in the
U.S. say.

"National anthems are symbols of a culture and symbols of what the
majority of the country believes in," said Sergio Bendixen, a pollster
who conducts surveys of Hispanic voters. Bush's judgment on the national
anthem "is a common-sense statement . . . He is understanding of the
culture enough to understand that this won't offend anyone."

Guillermo Meneses, spokesman for the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce,
agreed.

"You wouldn't sing the national anthem of another country in a different
language," Meneses said. "You wouldn't be singing the Mexican national
anthem in English.

"We should make every attempt to learn the English language," Meneses
added. "That is not to say that we don't maintain our cultural heritage.
I happen to be fully bilingual, and I'm going to do my darnedest to make
sure my children learn both English and Spanish."

At the same time, the president already is having the same problems
among Hispanic voters that he is having generally, with his job-approval
at record lows in new polls this week.

As governor of Texas, Bush found strong support among Hispanic voters,
and he boosted his share of the Hispanic vote from 35 percent to 40
percent between the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections.

But Bendixen, who found that the president enjoyed a favorable rating of
72 percent among all Hispanic voters surveyed at re-election, said
Bush's personal favorability rating has slid to 25 percent in his latest
national survey, conducted in March.

--
be-
bop