[Marxism] marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Fri Apr 28 21:31:14 MDT 2006

 > There's a version of the national anthem in Spanish coming out
 > and Bush decries it by saying "I think the national anthem ought to be
 > sung in English". If the vast majority of people aren't disgusted by
 > this, I give up on humanity.

   Surely you can't be serious.  Bush came out on this issue simply because he
knew it'd appeal to millions of bigots.  It also works to a couple of Bush's
advantages.  It helps erase Bush's pro-business stance on undocumented
workers, and it hypes US nationalism even more, which also lessens the stigma
of globalization; and I'm sure Bush would dream that such nationalistic
rhetoric would somehow be transformed into support for the war on Iraq.

   What's Bush's downside?  The Republican Congress has already more or less
written off much of the Latino vote with their immigration "reform" bill, and
Bush doesn't have to worry about running again.  For Bush it's a coldly
calculated move with few downsides that panders to the worst of US society;
you surely didn't expect him to operate on principle or with integrity, did
you?

 In solidarity.

--
Fast fact: More than 2 million Americans are in prisons, 500,000 more than in
communist China, which has a population of 1.3 billion people. The US leads