[Marxism] marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu

sartesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 29 13:40:42 MDT 2006

This song is hardly a revolutionary anthem.  It's origin, in the War of
1812 is hardly revolutionary, but rather inter-capitalist expansionary
conflict.  The words were written to the tune of a popular drinking
song, how appropriate, and it wasn't made the national anthem until
1931-- depression era and the run up to World War 2.

So WTF, over?  Little republic fighting for its life?  Not hardly.  That
was precisely not the issue in the War of 1812.  Little slaveholder's
republic looking to aggrandize more territory north; and engaged in
stiff competition with Britain.

You want to trot out something from the Civil War?  Then try "Battle
Hymn of the Republic," with the lyrics made more appropriate for today's
class struggle...

But let this drunken homage to the joys of capitalist expansionism stay
right where it belongs-- as a drunken homage to the joys of capitalist
expansionism.