[Marxism] NYC antiwar demo

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 29 15:02:20 MDT 2006

Just came back.

It was much larger than I would have anticipated. Although I am in no
position to estimate the crowd size, I wouldn't be surprised if it was over
150,000.

It was marred by the typical UFPJ disorganization, with a logjam at the
beginning. To an extent, however, this was just a function of the massive
size. It took a couple of hours for all the contingents to begin marching.

There was no rally at the beginning or end-points, so an opportunity was
lost to raise the consciousness of those who came with what the movement
needs to do next. But I imagine that the movement will be able to figure
this out by itself.

I did notice far more trade unionists--identifiable by jackets, banners,
etc.--than in the past. Perhaps this is a sign of stirring in the grass
roots. There were also *lots* of Mexican immigrants on the march.

In any case, this was a good step forward for the movement.