[Marxism] RE: 1812 and Star-Spanged Banner

sartesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 29 16:25:05 MDT 2006

This really verges on the ridiculous.  What's next?  Hymns to the glory
of West Point for graduating Sherman, Grant,  Scott, Meade?

The facts are that the War of 1812 was not a revolutionary struggle, but
inter-capitalist conflict over expansion.  The song itself only became a
national anthem in 1931 as the inaugural to the greatest bloodletting in
capitalist history.

And because Marxists understand things in their historical context, they
don't try and make them things they never were in that context, and
cannot be now  in this context.