[Marxism] On the 1812 war

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Apr 30 09:10:01 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:29 Apr 2006, a las 18:04

> So, it was appropriate that a poem and song celebrating the defense of
> the city by its people against the best efforts of regular military
> and naval forces seems appropriate became really popular in the early
> days of the Lincoln administration.
>
> If the immigrant workers' movement today finds is usable, more power
> to them.

The 1812 war put the Northeastern commercial bourgeoisie -who were
scared because the war would deprive them of the profits of overseas
trade (mainly with... Britain)- against the wall.  It alsoforced the
[Northern] US to turn to manufacture and self-centered development.
The Hartford Convention incident marked a Rubicon in American
politics.

I understand that today's cdes. don't see these events, which are
embedded in the history of the (bourgeois) USofA, but without these
events, which were the direct result of "Mr. Madison's War" there
would have been no Second USAmerican Revolution in the 1860s, and
most probably there would not exist a unified country "from sea to
sea" between the 30th and 50th paralells in the Northern tier of the
American continent.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar