[Marxism] Re: Herbert L. Matthews and the New York Times on Cuba

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Sun Apr 30 12:00:36 MDT 2006

There are more than three articles here by Matthews. The Times
includes the post-revolution articles as well.

You can download all of these articles as images. However, to prevent
massive copying and to profit from their resource, ProQuest prevents
you from copying and pasting text, which generally works in other pdf
formats, although sometimes in a very rough form indeed. Nor can you
search by word within the article, which you can do in standard pdf
files.

In general using ProQuest:

Using standard search procedures, ProQuest gives you the titles and
dates of the articles (including advertisements) . When you download
it, it is not a whole page, but only the article, which is really
convenient and obviously saves a lot of disk space. However, at this
point—after you have the download—you can't search within the
article. You just have to assume that what you are looking for is
there and examine it closely.

WARNING FOR MACINTOSH USERS. DON'T USE SAFARI.

It is important to download with the correct browser. I have a
Macintosh and when I downloaded with Safari all I got was a version
of the file that was compatible with Preview. Preview images are
inferior and do not allow flexibility in printing. So I use Netscape.

Using Netscape, aside from the print page itself, which has flexible
percentages, you can also draw a box around the selection that you
want. When you go to print, you will print only what is in the box.
Thus, if an article takes up a whole page and would be almost
unreadable if you printed it out at 8.5 x 11, you can instead select
proper portions (which you can turn in the print menu) and thus
create pages that are readable. To achieve maximum clarity, first
enlarge the section that you want, then draw the box, the print. You
will have to play with this a little to achieve the best result for
yourself.

Brian Shannon