[Marxism] Darfur

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 30 12:14:41 MDT 2006

Greg Dunkel wrote:
>"Working Assets" had a preprinted sign saying "Out of Iraq, Into
>Darfur."  About 30 people or so were carrying it  -- none of them Black.

They also had distributed a sign with Osama bin Laden's picture on it with
words to the effect that GI's were being diverted from the real war on
terror by being in Iraq.

As one guy was approaching me with an "Out of Iraq, Into Darfur" sign, I
said, "You have to be kidding." Which led to a five minute discussion that
led to him sheepishly admitting that it probably isn't a good idea for the
US to get involved in the Sudan. Someone else said it first (Maher?) but I
likened this to allowing an embezzler to manage your retirement funds.

If I find some time this week, I might write an extended piece on Darfur. I
am particularly interested in the role of the Nation Magazine in trying to
make this an issue for the left. After 10 years, I finally resubscribed to
the magazine mostly because Columbia no longer makes it available through
Proquest. I am addicted to crossword puzzles in general and they have a
very good cryptic puzzle modeled on the kind found in the TLS, etc.