[Marxism] Re: moderatoir's note

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Apr 30 13:48:33 MDT 2006

Brother sartesian wants to drag the discussion of the War of 1812 and the
Star-Spangled Banner under the rubric of the moderator's comment.  Like Jim
Cannon, I'm a "Fourth of July man," though I also like the Marseillaise.
About half the houses in this almost entirely black community display the
flag on holidays.  This isn't because they're "confused" or have "false
consciousness," and are being deceived by the ruling class.

Rather, they honestly associate the symbol with genuinely positive things.
I share that sense and celebration, usually by flying the red flag of the
militia at Bunker Hill.

The day that Saigon fell recalled those lines of the national anthem. "Oh,
thus be it ever when free men shall stand, / Between their loved homes and
the war's desolation; / Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued
land / Praise the Power that has made and preserved us as a nation."

IMHO, generations of laboring people have earned a right to stake our claim
on such symbols, if we choose to do so.  If newcomers to this country are
choosing to stake their claim as well, I frankly think that it puts them
much closer to the best things people attribute to those symbols.

It has absolutely nothing to do with imperialism, Bush, etc., etc.

Certainly, the reason there has not been another American Revolution has
nothing whatsoever to do with the failure of the toiling masses to see these
things the way Brother sartesian would prefer.

Solidarity!
Mark L.