[Marxism] How to fight compulsory dress codes

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Tue Aug 1 01:56:46 MDT 2006

    On   Tue, 1 Aug 2006 03:26:08 -0400,
 wrote   Sayan Bhattacharyya
 about   Re: [Marxism] Secular Chauvinism
             (was How to answer these questions?):

>  For instance,
> an anti-capitalist  woman who wears the hijab voluntarily as
> an expression of religious faith (or maybe as a sign of resistance to
> capitalism and commodification, additionally) deserves our support and
> solidarity. But a woman who, say, coerces other women to wear the
> hijab, should not be supported. (I admit that the distinction may
> often be difficult to draw in practice, of course, because there isn't
> a clearly marked boundary between coercion and non-coercion).

  The distinction is clearly made when one opposes the anti-hijab laws
enacted in several imperialist countries like France and Germany not on
the basis of defending the "right of religions", but on the basis of the
rejection of any politically or religiously imposed dress code,
defending the right of the _individual_ to decide herself how much of
her body she is willing to hide or disclose.

   "Should the length of a skirt be regulated by the state? Should women
be forced to wear mini skirts", etc. "It is up to the woman to decide
herself".

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany