[Marxism] Reporters Without Borders

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 1 10:26:44 MDT 2006

Counterpunch, August 1, 2006
International Republican Insitute Grants Uncovered
Reporters Without Borders and Washington's Coups

By DIANA BARAHONA and JEB SPRAUGE

British press baron Lord Northcliff said, "News is something that someone,
somewhere wants to keep secret, everything else is advertising." If this is
true, then U.S. government funding of Reporters Without Borders must be
news, because the organization and its friends in Washington have gone to
extraordinary lengths to cover it up. In spite of 14 months of stonewalling
by the National Endowment for Democracy over a Freedom of Information Act
request and a flat denial from RSF executive director Lucie Morillon, the
NED has revealed that Reporters Without Borders received grants over at
least three years from the International Republican Institute.

The NED still refuses to provide the requested documents or even reveal the
grant amounts, but they are identified by these numbers: IRI 2002-022/7270,
IRI 2003-027/7470 and IRI 2004-035/7473. Investigative reporter Jeremy
Bigwood asked Morillon on April 25 if her group was getting any money from
the I.R.I., and she denied it, but the existence of the grants was
confirmed by NED assistant to the president, Patrick Thomas.

The discovery of the grants reveals a major deception by the group, which
for years denied it was getting any Washington dollars until some
relatively small grants from the NED and the Center for a Free Cuba were
revealed (see Counterpunch: "Reporters Without Borders Unmasked"). When
asked to account for its large income RSF has claimed the money came from
the sale of books of photographs. But researcher Salim Lamrani has pointed
out the improbability of this claim. Even taking into account that the
books are published for free, it would have had to sell 170 200 books in
2004 and 188 400 books in 2005 to earn the more than $2 million the
organization claims to make each year ­ 516 books per day in 2005. The
money clearly had to come from other sources, as it turns out it did.

The I.R.I., an arm of the Republican Party, specializes in meddling in
elections in foreign countries, as a look at NED annual reports and the
I.R.I. website shows. It is one of the four core grantees of the NED, the
organization founded by Congress under the Reagan administration in 1983 to
replace the CIA's civil society covert action programs, which had been
devastated by exposure by the Church committee in the mid-1970s (Ignatius,
1991). The other three pillars of the NED are the National Democratic
Institute (the Democratic Party), the Solidarity Center (AFL-CIO) and the
Center for International Private Enterprise (U.S. Chamber of Commerce). But
of all the groups the I.R.I. is closest to the Bush administration,
according to a recent piece in The New York Times exposing its role in the
overthrow of Haitian president Jean-Bertrand Aristide:

"President Bush picked its president, Lorne W. Craner, to run his
administration's democracy-building efforts. The institute, which works in
more than 60 countries, has seen its federal financing nearly triple in
three years, from $26 million in 2003 to $75 million in 2005. Last spring,
at an I.R.I. fund-raiser, Mr. Bush called democracy-building 'a growth
industry.'" (Bogdanich and Nordberg, 2006)

Funding from the I.R.I. presents a major problem for RSF's credibility as a
"press freedom" organization because the group manufactured propaganda
against the popular democratic governments of Venezuela and Haiti at the
same time that its patron, the I.R.I., was deeply involved in efforts to
overthrow them. The I.R.I. funded the Venezuelan opposition to President
Hugo Chavez (Barry, 2005) and actively organized Haitian opposition to
Aristide in conjunction with the CIA (Bogdanich and Nordberg, 2006).

The man who links RSF to these activities is Otto Reich, who worked on the
coups first as assistant secretary of state for Latin American affairs,
and, after Nov. 2002, as a special envoy to Latin America on the National
Security Council. Besides being a trustee of the government-funded Center
for a Free Cuba, which gives RSF $50,000 a year, Reich has worked since the
early 1980's with the I.R.I.'s senior vice president, Georges Fauriol,
another member of the Center for a Free Cuba. But it is Reich's experience
in propaganda that is especially relevant. In the 1980's he was caught up
in investigations into the Reagan administration's illegal war on the
Sandinistas. The comptroller general determined in 1987 that Reich's Office
of Public Diplomacy had "engaged in prohibited covert propaganda
activities." (Bogdanich and Nordberg, 2006). In early 2002, once George
Bush had given him a recess appointment to the State Department, "Reich was
soon tasked to orchestrate a massive international media defamation
campaign against Chávez that has continued until this day" (Conkling and
Goble, 2004).

full: http://www.counterpunch.com/barahona08012006.html

===

My own take on the matter: