[Marxism] working class in Lebanese resistance?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 12:40:59 MDT 2006

On May 10, 2006, hundreds of thousands of working class Lebanese  demonstrated in Beirut against the government's plans to implement  privatization and other antilabor "reforms". At the time Bassem added  on this list some valuable information to news reports, commenting on  the unity shown by Lebanese workers of various creeds and parties  against the government, as well as the role of Hezbollah, Amal and  Aoun's FPM in the march.

  In the valuable dossier on Hezbollah available at MERIP and Zmag the  author mentions that group's origins in and policies toward workers and  poor, as has been documented elsewhere.

  So my question is whether this mobilization has had any impact on the  current resistance to US/Israeli aggression. That is, did the May  action leave any political or organizational legacy which is helping to  inspire the resistance, and to challenge the government's weak response?

  My reason for asking is obvious: The key problem of the Arab and  anti-Zionist revolution has always been the disorganization of the Arab  and Jewish working classes, and as a consequence the ability of  quisling bourgeois governments to ally with Israel or at best to put up  an incompetent resistance to it.