[Marxism] Secular Chauvinism--the John Brown model

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Aug 2 12:37:26 MDT 2006

Nationalism IS a secularized religion of the 18th and 19th century.  If you
look at the contemporary engravings of nation builders, it's easy to see
them as part of an iconography of gods, saints, etc.

But this issue isn't really a secular chauvinism but a chauvinism in
general, an unbending arrogant pride (or terrified defensiveness) about your
personal and peculiaristic sense of the cosmological verities.

To my mind, though, John Brown, the ardently evangelical abolitionist is the
best model of a religious revolutionary.  At different times Jews,
spiritualists, atheists, even the odd native American traditionalist fought
alongside him.  The task, he believed, was doing good by weakening the
institution of human slavery, and he believed agreement around that to be
far more important than how you thought or didn't think of god, the universe
and everything....

To me, it is characteristic essential for anyone to receive our support.
However intense their religious views, they must tolerate the views of
others.  Put another way, they must be serious enough about their faith to
have humility before the uncertainties and have an abiding respect for their
contemporaries.

ML