A reply on Re: [Marxism] Israel Is Losing This War (Wall Street Journal)

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Aug 2 16:42:02 MDT 2006

Hi David

I suppose I am part of the "crowd" you refer to.  I know your sadness and bitterness is making you refer to us in this derogatory way.  But all that aside I think your approach is if I may so quite undialectical. Let's assume the Israelis achieve complete victory in Lebanon.  Let's also assume you are correct and they then are able to turn to the Gaza and as you put it "destroy its inhabitants".

That would be a victory without a single moral element. It would provide generations of hatred.  It would be the rallying point for millions of Arabs.  Out of the ashes of that defeat would emerge a terrible revenge.

Since 1948 the Israelis have been killing Arabs.  All this war ensures is that they will have to go on doing that right through this century.

They have already emerged from this conflict as one of the most brutal military powers in history.  But they need to keep saying to themselves that they are the most moral army in the world.  Even on Fox News and CNN there have been moments when the absolute falsity of that has peeped thru.

This war was thought out in terms of a brual racist imperialism - one that despises Arabs.  Instead of a waltz thru to Beirut, they have had to use the military, their tanks, their artillery and the planes and their ships against a few thousand guerrillas.  Arabs everywhere are burning with pride because of this.  What you forget if I may say so is that Israel must always succeed in humiliating the Arabs and proving that only the grovellers such as the Abdullahs and Mubarak hold the solution.

Israel has not succeeded in doing that.

Yesterday 2000 students from Cairo University braved a brutal state apparatus to protest atgainst Israel's inhumanity.  Inside that demo lies the seeds of the destruction of the Middle East that America has created.

Incidentally: why is it that the only dialecticains in America are coming out of the neo-cons???

regards

Gary