[Marxism] re: Israel is losing the war (Wall Street Journal)

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Wed Aug 2 18:19:16 MDT 2006

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 19:40:09 -0400, Fred Feldman wrote:

> Now Israel has opted for massive escalation, and for a possible
> long-term occupation. The media, as always, is reporting initial
> successes including capture of some Hezbollah leaders.

  It may be that they now try to establish a death zone along the
Israeli-Lebanes border without any human inhabitants.

   On BBC or CNN, I saw Olmert tonight (i.e. on Wednesday) boasting
among other things that they have "completely displaced the population,
the powerbase of Hizb-Allah". They had thrown those leaflets to the
population, calling them to flee if they did not want to get killed, and
made this 48 hours pause in the airial bombing to allow even more people
to flee from the southern part of Lebanon.

   Then there was a report of a BBC journalist who traveled with a
Israeli incursion force into Lebanon, showing footage of how the
Israelis attacked a village, and the last part of the report was
introduced with words like "after the tanks have done their work, the
time begins for the bulldozers" and one could see one of these giant
blinded bulldozers levelling some rubble. Maybe it was only clearing the
way for the tanks.

   But it may well be the intention of the Israelis (OK, in reality
first the USA) to make the south of Lebanon up to the Litani river
completely inhabitable. An undertaking which will not really contribute
to the stabilization of Lebanon...

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany