[Marxism] "People just don't go into the streets"

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 2 21:37:15 MDT 2006

Mark Lause writes:

"Marxists today operate in a society very different than it was in past
decades.  I don't see this as a problem peculiar to the Left.

"People just don't go into the streets.  Not for demos or Memorial Day
parades or much of anything.  People even seem to practice their religion by
way of the idiot box.  Well, I admit that people do go out to the malls...

"The problem is that mass culture and mass communications has created an
electronic consumer civic culture that atomizes everything and offers
individualized modes of coming to grips with society and the status quo."

I missed this message when it was first posted a few days ago; only a
reference to it today in another reply piqued my interest.

It is striking that even a comrade like Mark could/would write such a
message, "People just don't go into the streets," after the spring immigrant
rights offensive. Because it was the largest and most sustained series of
mass protests ever in the history of the country. Perhaps it can be argued
that the May, 1970, student strike rivaled it.

There has been, since Seattle, repeated and huge antiglobalization and
antiwar demonstrations. There was a staggering vote for Nader in 2000, and a
very respectable one in 2004, way beyond anything done in the 60's or 70's
in the electoral field on a truly independent basis.

We don't have a radicalization (yet) of nearly the breadth or depth of the
one in the 1960's, and the corporate-dominatged media is very careful today
to suppress all news or indications of a radicalization, and stick to the
"offcial story."

But the sweeping negative vision of the current political climate that some
seem to have I think is unjustified.

Joaquín