[Marxism] Venezuela's PDVSA eyes biodiesel output in 3 years

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 05:45:04 MDT 2006

>From Cuba's Prensa Latina agency: Sugar - The time of ethanol:

"Increasing oil prices make countries bet on the use of alternative
energy sources, mainly ethanol, to deal with the problem. In a world
where crude oil is the main source of energy and this grows increasingly
expensive (almost 70 dollars a barrel), the perspective of an alternative
source, like ethanol produced from sugar cane, or other crops becomes
much more attractive." FULL:
http://www.walterlippmann.com/docs695.html

Venezuela's PDVSA eyes biodiesel output in 3 years
Wed Aug 2, 2006 4:15pm ET169

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Venezuela state oil company
PDVSA is studying Brazilian biodiesel technology with an eye on
possible own output three years from now, PDVSA director Igor
Martinez said on Wednesday.

He told reporters PDVSA had already adopted technology to produce
ethanol with output due to start next year.

"The biodiesel plans are for later on, but I believe that in a three
years' time we can be producing, too," he said on the sidelines of
Hart's World Refining & Fuels Conference in Rio de Janeiro.

"We signed commitments to study Petrobras technology," he added.
Brazil's state-run oil company Petrobras (PETR4.SA: Quote, Profile,
Research) (PBR.N: Quote, Profile, Research) is an active promoter of
biodiesel, which is blended into regular diesel at a 2:98 ratio on
voluntary basis.

The 2 percent blend will become compulsory from 2008 or even next
year, according to recent government plans. Brazil will then switch
to a 5 percent compulsory blend, possibly as soon as 2010.

Martinez did not provide production or demand estimates in Venezuela,
but said the country was preparing its agriculture sector to provide
the necessary raw materials. Biodiesel is produced from soybeans and
other oil-containing plants.

As for ethanol, Venezuela has imported 150 million liters of the fuel
sold by Petrobras this year. Venezuela plans to build 15 ethanol
plants by 2010.

C Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.