[Marxism] Many Hezbollah activists are from leftist groups ???

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 07:50:10 MDT 2006

On 8/3/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
> >In Iraq now, it is difficult to see who
> >is killing whom for what purposes.  Shadowy international terrorists
> >of an apocalyptic tendency are not at all the same thing as political
> >organizations and their militias.
>
> This distinction is lost on me. By all accounts, the Mahdist army in Iraq
> is involved in death squad activity. We certainly know who they are. They
> are the Shi'ite militia that draws inspiration from the Islamic Republic of
> Iran.

The Mahdi Army has been the organization that the New York Times has
been most often blaming for sectarian killings -- it helps Washington
build its case for its Iran campaign.  I have no facts to prove or
disprove it, and neither do you.  Let's suppose, for the sake of
argument, that what the NYT says is true and that it is the Mahdi Army
that is committing all or most of sectarian killings.  In that case,
there are several political and military ways to deal with it (e.g.,
amnesty for fighters and incorporation of them into the national army;
or military destruction of the organization), _provided_ that Iraqis
can manage to establish a government that has popular legitimacy in
their eyes in all relevant religious and ethnic groups.  But the
pattern of killings suggests that is not likely to be the case.  We
essentially don't know who is killing whom for what purposes in Iraq
today, aside from the cases of insurgents (we don't know who they are
either) killing US troops and their Iraqi collaborators and US troops
killing in Iraqis counter-insurgency.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>