[Marxism] Many Hezbollah activists are from leftist groups ???

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 09:03:40 MDT 2006

On 8/3/06, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> Yoshie:
> >The Mahdi Army has been the organization that the New York Times has
> >been most often blaming for sectarian killings -- it helps Washington
> >build its case for its Iran campaign.  I have no facts to prove or
> >disprove it, and neither do you.
>
> The NY Times does not make these charges in order to fan the flames of war
> against Iran.

The NYT isn't committed to a war against Iran yet, but neither is
anyone in the US government.  A full-scale war is not in the cards for
the moment.  What's possible is economic sanctions (which will degrade
Iran's defense capabilities), missile strikes, and things of that
nature.  If the NYT came out against any sanctions on and
destablization in Iran, that would be great, but it won't.

In any case, in a war time like the Iraq War (where It's too dangerous
for reporters to get around among Iraqis), especially under the Bush
administration (remember Judith Miler, etc.), whatever editors and
publishers think, much of "facts" come not from reporters' independent
investigative journalism but from sources -- often anonymous -- inside
the US government, rumors from unknown sources, and so on.

IMHO, we seldom know for sure who is killing whom for what purposes in
Iraq, aside from clear cases of insurgency and counter-insurgency.

> The only people who
> make a stink about Iran helping the Mahdists or other Shi'ite militias in
> Iraq are the far-right elements in the Murdoch press, etc. who are pretty
> well marginal in US foreign policy debates.

Blaming Tehran for what's happening in Iraq (or fearing what it might
do in Iraq) is a stance adopted by people on nearly all points of the
political spectrum except the tiny anti-imperialist Left, not just the
Right:

e.g.,

Doug Ireland, "Iran Exports Anti-Gay Pogrom to Iraq," 31 May 2006
<http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/2659/>.

"Iraqi Exile Speaks Out Against the Targeting of Gay Iraqis by Shia
Death Squads," 23 March 2006,
<http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/23/153203>

There is a much higher level of bipartisan agreement on Iran than
Iraq.  Look at the voting pattern on the Iran Freedom Support Act:
<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/furuhashi290606.html>.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>