[Marxism] The Mahdi Army and "sectarian killings" in Iraq

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 3 09:23:03 MDT 2006

Lou Paulsen wrote:
>As for Louis Pr's earlier statement that "by all accounts" the Mahdists
>are responsible for most of the sectarian violence against Sunnis, I
>recall that on more than one occasion when killings of Sunni civilians
>have been blamed on the Mahdi Army, they have explictly denied it; I
>remember that once they announced that they reportedly ordered the Army
>not to wear its uniform for a period, so that other forces couldn't
>impersonate them.  So this "all accounts" does not include the Mahdists'
>own account.  Actually, among the Shi'i forces, the Mahdi Army would seem
>to be politically the least predisposed toward disruptive sectarian terror
>against civilians.  I don't see why it would make sense for them.

Isn't it important to take into account is what Sunni leaders and ordinary
citizens think? Do you think that they are scapegoating the Mahdists for
crimes carried out by who? American soldiers dressed up like Mahdists, who
have learned Arabic?. I don't really see the need for conspiracy-mongering
along these lines.

=========

"Mr. Sadr's militia has frequently been accused by Sunni Arab leaders and
American officials of kidnapping and killing Sunni Arabs, sometimes in
retaliation for similar crimes against Shiites by Sunni death squads."

NYT, June 8, 2006

---

According to witnesses and a Washington Post special correspondent,
carloads of men in tracksuits, suspected by residents to be members of the
powerful Shiite militia known as the Mahdi Army, pulled up outside the
Malouki mosque and fired rocket-propelled grenades at the house of worship.
During the firefight, a bullet pierced the shoulder of a mosque guard. Cars
were gutted and burned. Residents said they did not know how many people died.

Gunfire clattered through the hot evening air; children bawled at the
sound. In one home, a wife locked the front door and pleaded with her
husband not to leave the house. A former army officer barked orders to
neighbors who assembled to mount a defense: You go up to the rooftops. You
guard the street corners.

Saleh Muhammed, an Amiriyah resident, told a Post special correspondent
that he dialed 130 into his cellphone, Baghdad's emergency number. "The
Mahdi Army has attacked Amiriyah," he told the Interior Ministry dispatcher.

"The Mahdi Army are not terrorists like you," said the dispatcher at the
ministry, which is controlled by a Shiite party and operates closely with
militias. "They are people doing their duty. And how could you know that
they are the Mahdi Army? Is it written on their foreheads?" He hung up the
phone.

Washington Post, July 12, 2006

---

Mr. Jaafari's government has been especially unpopular with Sunni Arabs,
who have accused the Interior Ministry of backing death squads that have
rounded up and murdered hundreds of Sunnis in Baghdad and elsewhere in
recent months. Many Sunnis have also accused Shiite militias, including Mr.
Sadr's Mahdi Army, of playing roles in the killings.

''Jaafari failed to provide security and protect Iraqis,'' said Mahmoud
al-Mashadani, a Sunni Arab and a leader of the Iraqi Accordance Front,
which has the third-largest bloc in Parliament, with 44 seats.

NYT, February 13, 2006