[Marxism] Hezbollah - NOT Islamist but multi dimensional resistanceto occupation

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 10:33:01 MDT 2006

It seems to me that the important thing is that the US decision to attempt to pacify Baghdad, whatever that means, is likely to re-start the fight between al-Sadr and the US. What part of the Iraqi Army is going to go door-to-door in Sadr City with the US troops newly sent to calm the city down? The Peshmerga? Not the part that is secretly or not-so-secretly a part of the Mahdi Army, we can take that for a given, I hope. Probably not the part that is loyal to the Badr Brigade.

Leaving aside that military question, the Mahdi Army as far as I know has always called for immediate withdrawal of the US forces. The US hated that his party got 30 seats in the parliament but had to accept it.