[Marxism] How to answer these questions?

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 06:24:21 MDT 2006

On 8/3/06, Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Do you all feel compelled every time a Black Muslim Minister excorciates
> blue-eyed devils, talks about what the "white man" did to Black people, to
> start issuing all sorts of corrections, amplifications and explanations?
> Do
> you for a single second believe everything Minister Malcolm taught about
> the
> white man was in the slightest bit unjustified, undeserved?
>
> In the good old days of the anti-Vietnam war movement, Chicanos used to
> express their solidarity with the just struggle of the Vietnamese people
> with a rhythmic, two-word chant: "Gringos, matenlos!"

It is precisely for these reasons (among others) that the white working
class is by and large alienated from the left (and is in fact being pushed
to the right).

In the 2004 elections, Bush led Kerry by 17 percentage points among
lower-income white males. Admittedly, Kerry has nothing to do with the left.
But it shows you the ideological chasm that has opened between many white
working class males and anything that even remotely smacks of the left, even
by association.

All the examples you gave should have been addressed, I think. Maybe not in
an in-your-face way or in public, to avoid humiliating the speakers who said
these, but certainly politely, in private conversation, it could have been
addressed. Not in a "criticizing" way, but in an "explaining" way -- saying
something like "yes, a lot of whites behave like that... but these are the
reasons why capitalism is making them behave that way."