[Marxism] Shifting opinion on Israel

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Aug 4 15:24:14 MDT 2006

Louis Proyect wrote:
> A few times a year I get an invitation from a woman on the upper east
> side to go to a brunch she organizes for graduates of Fallsburg
> Central High School. A couple of days ago I got a kind of chain letter
> from her defending Israel.

a couple days ago a Jewish acquaintance of mine (moved here to the US
from South Africa) approached me trying to solicit my "support" for
Israel, telling me we needed to generate more support for MORE aerial
bombardment and so forth. i was sitting with a bunch of friends, and
after i dispensed with him in a few choice sentences and he left (well,
i warned him not to push the discussion, but he stuck with it), i turned
to my tablemates and asked if anyone needed elaboration on my views.
they all agreed (roughly) with what i said, and then one (non-Jew)
admitted to me she is not comfortable criticizing Israel, especially
around Jews.

we sort-of-Jews need to make the non-Jew crowd feel better about their
anti-Israeli sentiments.

Les