[Marxism] [Three Way Fight blog] Defending My Enemy's Enemy

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 06:31:08 MDT 2006

> On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:48:55 -0400, kersplebedeb wrote:
>
> > Question to the U.S. left and anti-war movement about
> > the current war in Lebanon:
> > If we want Israel to fail in its stated objective
> > to destroy Hezbollah, does that mean we want Hezbollah to win?

Bernard-Henri Levy (a French philosopher, apparently) , has some
interesting things to say about this in today's New York Times:

"Hezbollah has in effect relegated the Palestinian question to the
background. As indifferent as the traditional Arab leaders may have
been, in their innermost selves, to the fate of the inhabitants of
Gaza and Nablus, at least they still pretended they cared. Whereas the
Hezbollah leader, Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, doesn't even try to pretend.
The suffering and rights of the Palestinians are no longer, in his own
Islamo-fascist geopolitics, either a cause to fight for or even an
alibi. You just have to read the very charter of his movement, or
listen to his proclamations on Al Manar, the Hezbollah TV channel, to
see that he has little concern with that relic from ancient eras that
is Arab nationalism in general and Palestinian nationalism in
particular. (Only the naked hatred remains.) Instead, he dreams of a
reconciled Islamic community, a new umma, with Iran as the base, Syria
the armed branch and Hezbollah the invading spear tip. He will employ
the means of war without the usual practical goals of war. There
remain the three neglected casualties of this new Iranian-style jihad:
Israel, Lebanon and Palestine."

Does anyone know more about Levy and whether he has an agenda? Is his
characterization, above, accurate?