[Marxism] The "anti-semitism" of the oppressed, etc.??(was: How to answer these questions?)

Ian Pace ian at ianpace.com
Sat Aug 5 18:23:24 MDT 2006

From: "Danielle Ni Dhighe" <danielle at irsm.org>

> At 05:46 AM 8/5/2006, Joaquin Bustelo wrote:
> >So I object to going around criticizing the victims of
> >the Zionists for talking in terms of "Jews" when it is
> >the Zionists themselves that are overwhelmingly
> >responsible for that situation.
>
> To a certain degree, you're correct.  Israel justifies itself not as *a*
> Jewish state, but as *the* Jewish state, and that its actions are on
> behalf of all Jews.  That said, I don't think this justifies antisemitism
> in response, as you seem to believe.

I do believe there is a despicable tactic at work here. Israel and its
supporters try to portray itself as acting on behalf of all Jews in the hope
of provoking responses *against* all Jews. Then this gives further
sustenance to the very fundamentals of Zionist propaganda - that the state
of Israel is necessary because the rest of the world is irretrievably
anti-semitic when you scratch the surface. By responding to such
self-justification in an anti-semitic way, we play into their hands.

Solidarity,
Ian