[Marxism] The alleged anti-semitism of the oppressed

Ozleft Ozleft at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 6 07:19:41 MDT 2006

Broadly based movement of Arabs in Australia against Israeli-US state
terror in Lebanon and Palestine carefully opposes attacks on Jews

By Bob Gould

Maybe we're a bit provincial in Australia, but it's very striking that
the substantial movement of Arab communities against Israeli and
US-backed state terror deliberately and carefully avoids attacks on Jews
as such and concentrates its fire on state terror. In this they display
much greater realism than Joaquin Bustello.

It's bizarre, politically reactionary and counter-productive for
Bustello to be deliberately praising instances of backwardness towards
Jews, and even to talk about condemning the whole Jewish population of
Israel. What became of proletarian internationalism?

In Australia there is a substantial number of people of Jewish
background who vigorously oppose Israeli state terror and they're pretty
well received by the Arab mass movement.

It's particularly unpleasant and reactionary of Bustello to pass off
peddling of the myths in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion as
relatively unimportant.

As a bookseller for 30 years or so I'm not infrequently asked for this
booklet, and my standard response has always been that I exercise very
little censorship and I only refuse to carry things such as child
pornography, snuff movies, the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and
similarly racist publications that present themselves as historical fact.

I usually piss off Anglos who ask for the Protocols of the Elders of
Zion with a modest diatribe, although I sometimes try to educate them a
bit by telling them it's a Zionist secret police concoction, and
sometimes I quietly say the Protocols gets it completely wrong anyway,
that in Australia in proportion to population, fewer Jews own big
capital than Presbyterians, and if there is a problem it's the
Presbyterians who are the owners of capital and disproportionately in
positions of power.

With people of obviously Arab background who ask for the Protocols I
adopt a more pedagogic and courteous approach, but I tell them exactly
what I think of the Protocols and demonising Jews. I usually get a
rational response from Arabic people. One young bloke who came into my
shop 10 or 15 years ago as a young law student, who I made my point
about the Presbyterians to, is now a successful lawyer and a
considerable figure in the Arab community campaigning against Israeli
aggression. He said to me recently, with a bit of a laugh, that I was
right about the Protocols, the big problem is the crazy Christians, like
Bush.

Bustello's pandering to anti-Jewish backwardness is unprincipled, very
bad tactical politics and offensive to serious Arab and to Jewish
activists on the left, who have often lost relatives in the Holocaust or
survived the Holocaust themselves, but nevertheless still oppose Israeli
policy and practice.

Bustello is imposing his own reactionary perspectives on a mass movement
of resistance of the Arab peoples, which is quite unlikely to follow the
direction that he would impose on it from his Olympian, self-constructed
anti-imperialist heights.