[Marxism] Report on tel Aviv anti-war rally

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Aug 6 15:11:28 MDT 2006

International release

Photoreportage of yesterday's rally and daily anti-war ads, on
http://www.gush-shalom.org

  Hebrew & English

Avnery's latest article "Junkies of War" :  appears on the website
  Hebrew/עברית
  http://zope.gush-shalom.org/home/he/channels/avnery/1154819410
  English:
  http://zope.gush-shalom.org/home/en/channels/avnery/1154819859

We shall all lose

Adam Keller's diary report, a day after the rally

"Is this the last week?" people asked each other. Since the jets went
streaking northwards to rain death over Beirut and the missiles came
shrieking back southwards to an ever-widening number of Israeli
communities, Israeli activists had been gathering every Saturday evening
and marching in protest through the streets of Tel-Aviv.

According to the confident predictions emanating from Condoleezza Rice's
entourage at the beginning of the week, by today a ceasefire should have
already been in place. But Saturday was at least as bloody as the
preceding days, with the end of the killing seeming an ever-receding
horizon. As thousands streamed to the rendezvous at the end of Ben Tzion
Boulevard (accustomed place of the weekly Women in Black vigil) the
prospects of a ceasefire were a major subject of conversation. "To us,
'ceasefire' and 'cessation of hostilities' seem the same, but the
diplomats hide a hell of a lot of meaning between nuances of this kind. It
could make a life or death difference on the ground afterwards, we have to
look very carefully at what the Americans and French are up to, over there
in New York" said a white-haired man with a big sign reading "We are not
Bush's puppets!"

To the mother and her two daughters, killed this morning at Arab
el-Aramsheh from the direct hit of a Katyusha missile, it will no longer
make any difference. (Like nearly half the Israeli civilian casualties,
they were Arabs, in whose community the government never thought of
installing air-raid shelters or alarms). And whatever the final
formulation of the UN resolution, it will also come far too late for the
33 farm workers (35 in other accounts) killed by a single Israeli bomb
near the Lebanese-Syrian border (most of the Israeli media did not even
bother to mention it).

Here in the heart of Tel-Aviv we had to contend with a fortunately
non-lethal kind of missile: a salvo of eggs suddenly plastered the
gathering activists. The police somehow failed to notice the perpetrators,
despite being present on the scene in great numbers (there had been
extensive and exhausting negotiations on the route of the march, the
authorities rejecting the organizers original proposals on various
bureaucratic grounds).

"Damn, I worked on this placard for nearly three hours" cried a young man
from Jaffa. Under the caption "Stop the carnage - start negotiating
peace!" there were two hand-painted pictures: on one side airplanes
dropping bombs and great flames bursting from the ground, on the other
birds flying above a meadow with children playing happily. Three girls
rushed to help, thoroughly scraping the poster with their tissues until
all signs of the dripping yolk were removed.

Our malevolent "friends" were far from through. The activist who brought a
great bundle of 300 black flags, newly produced for this march, made the
mistake of leaving them for a minute on the pavement. Suddenly a car
stopped, three youngsters got out, seized the flags by force and
disappeared. The police, some of whom were a short distance away, failed
to notice this act of flagrant thievery, too.

The black flags were intended to convey mourning for all the victims, on
whatever side of the physical borders and the ethnic and religious divide,
and also to remind of the Supreme Court ruling half a century ago that "It
is not only the right but the duty of a soldier to disobey a manifestly
illegal order, on which the Black Flag of Illegality flies".

The thieves had robbed us of having the mass of black at the head of the
march as organizers envisaged. Still, a group of traditionally-dressed
Arab women from the north got off their bus with black flags they had
prepared in their village, and the Anarchists naturally also has quite a
few of them. The black flags mixed with the red ones of the Hadash
Communists, and the yellow flags of the Arab Renewal Movement of KM Ahmad
Tibi, and the round Gush Shalom two-flag signs, and the numerous printed
and hand-made signs: "Occupation and War are a disaster!" - "Just Peace =
Security!" - "39 Years are enough - End the Occupation!" - "There is no
military solution!" - "Cease-fire NOW!" - "Stop the war! Stop the
massacre!" - "No more Unilateral Acts, Open Peace Negotiations Now! -
"Negotiations with Syria - the Key to Peace in Lebanon!". A middle-aged
woman walking at the side held a small carton sign with the words "Stop,
please!".

The narrow King George Street through which we passed is in the downtown
area of Tel-Aviv, rather rundown though bustling - the area which had been
the heart of the city back when it was part of the British Empire, and
which has a considerable right-wing element but also enclaves of students
and bohemians. Demonstrators chanted "We shall neither die nor kill / in
the service of the USA!" - "Children want to live / in Beirut and Haifa!"
- "Peretz, Peretz, resign / peace is more important!" - "A million
refugees / that's a war crime!" - "Olmert, Peretz and Ramon / Get out of
Lebanon!" (originally, this slogan had Sharon's name). But the slogan
repeated again and again, in alternating Hebrew and Arabic, was "Jews and
Arabs Refuse to be Enemies!". A small child, riding her father's
shoulders, clapped hands merrily to the rhythm of the slogans.

The two most popular stickers circulating in the crowd were Gush Shalom's
"Bring the Soldiers Home" (from a model dating back to the 1982 invasion
of Lebanon) and the Bereaved Families' Forum's "It will not End - Until we
Talk!". An enterprising activist had produced at his own expense a sticker
reading "We shall all lose!" - a faithful replica of the colours and
graphic style of "Together we shall win!", the sticker mass-produced and
distributed in the past weeks by the patriotic/commercial Leumi Bank.
Quite a few participants wore Che Guevara t-shirts, and there were some
with the face of Nelson Mandela. But also one participant's shirt had
blazoned in English: "Conference of Jewish Communities, Seattle".

The Likud Party headquarters, which the march passed, seemed deserted and
lifeless. "They can afford to be lazy, Peretz is doing the dirty work for
them" remarked an activist, who shortly afterwards furiously tore down a
poster of the Labour Party leader, left over from the elections of four
months (just four months!) ago. A bit later on, on a balcony, two
bare-chested youths waved Israeli national flags and made rude gestures,
shouting something which was inaudible over the din. A demonstrator
silently waved towards them his own Israeli flag - one draped in the black
of mourning. A neighboring balcony bore a large Animal Rights poster -
"Meat is Murder!" - and from it a woman in a red flowered dress was
enthusiastically waving in support.

Crossing the busy Allenby Street, we got to the designated site of the
rally - Magen David Square, at the entrance to the Carmel Market. "Welcome
to the Demonstration of the Ten Thousand, the largest demonstration to
date against the criminal Lebanon War! Move along, move along!" boomed the
loudspeaker from the podium. (Various press accounts later credited the
demo with between 3000 and 5000 participants). The thousands that did not
find place in the square flowed over into the Nahlat Binyamin pedestrian
mall and other neighboring streets.

In the back there was, however, a constant motion and hubhub.

"We call upon everybody to cross Allenby and file into the square, we want
to begin! Please cross the street, don't linger!" called moderator Hulud
Badawi on the loudspeaker, and a little later: "We call upon the Tel-Aviv
police force to stop molesting our people, to stop shoving and pushing!
The agreement was that problems will be dealt with by demonstration
marshals! Policemen, please hold to the agreement!"

In the densely packed crowd, it was difficult to see clearly even a short
distance away, and impossible to establish how the confrontation started
and by whom. Some objects, such as bottles and sticks, have certainly
flown through the air, and two demonstrators ended up in detention. None
of many who were asked during and after the demonstration, have seen (or
smelled) the throwing of faeces at the police - but the police
spokesperson announced it as a fact to the press, even while the
demonstration was going on, and on Y-net the faeces incident - true or
fabricated - took up the headline and a large portion of the news item
published.

In fact, however, the entire confrontation with the police took part on
the outer edge of the rally, which started after a few minutes' delay.
Besides Gush Shalom, participants included the Women's Coalition for
Peace, Ta'ayush, Anarchists Against Walls, Yesh Gvul, the
Israeli-Palestinian Forum of Bereaved Families, feminists, many parents
with their children, veteran and young peace activists as well the
political parties Hadash, Balad and the United Arab List.

A sign of the ferment in the political system was provided by members of
Meretz, who took part in spite their party's pro-war position. They were
led by former MKs Naomi Hazan and Ya'el Dayan.

Dayan at first got wild applause when she called for the immediate return
of the invading troops from Lebanon and for a prisoner exchange to free
the ones captured by Hizbullah and Hamas. But when she also sent greetings
to the fighting soldiers there was a chorus of angry protests and
catcalls. Defiantly, she added that the war had been justified to begin
with, "though it had now gone on too long and too deep", and some
activists tried to storm the podium, pushed back with difficulty by
marshals.

Naomi Hazan, the other Meretz dissident, was more pleasing to this
audience: "Each and every one of us came here because of being totally
against this war. We have come here to make a united voice of protest
against this terrible monstrous madness and call for an immediate
ceasefire, to protest the destruction and mourn the killings. And not only
in Lebanon - let's not forget the Palestinians, let's not forget the blood
which was shed this morning in Rafah! We have come here to struggle for
life, to oppose the war with all our power - and we will win!"

The keynote speech was delivered by Saul Feldman, a person hitherto
unknown to most of his listeners. "I live in Nesher, which as you know is
a suburb of Haifa. Until three weeks ago, this was just a geographical
detail, a quite comfortable house to live in. On the day this war broke
out, I and my wife went to the demonstration in Tel-Aviv. On the following
day we were sitting in a back room when there was this whistle and
explosion, quite near, and our dog came running, shaking and very
frightened. Our front room was in shambles, broken glass strewn
everywhere. I tried the piano to see if it was working, that was when the
press photographers arrived."

Here, a group of extreme-right people, waving flags, arrived on the scene
and tried to break into the podium, to be thrown back after a few minutes'
struggle. Unperturbed, Feldman resumed his speech:

"I should have thought that the photo of a man playing the piano in a
ruined house should have sent a message of peace. But I saw the photo with
all kinds of very warlike captions, which implied that I want revenge from
the inhabitants of Lebanon. I called the press and protested and told them
I had participated in the anti-war demonstration. They said: oh, but did
you not change your mind when your house was bombed? Change my mind? I
have protested against the stupid wanton destruction of war, and then the
war and destruction came to my own home. Should that make me change my
mind?"

"Olmert, stop this madness!" cried Uri Avnery of Gush Shalom. "The war has
gone to your head. You are war drunk, a war junkie. Nothing good will come
of this war. Stop it, before it is too late! And you, Amir Peretz - you
have lied to your voters and cheated them. Some people in this rally have
voted for you, or at least seriously considered doing it. People who would
otherwise have never thought of voting Labour supported you because you
presented yourself as a radical social reformer, because you promised to
divert a large part of the defence budget to education and health and
social improvement, because you said you were a dove and a peace-seeker.
What is left of that? You have a become a monster, a real monster!"

"Jews and Arabs pay the price in blood, the price in dead and wounded, of
this miserable criminal war. We are in this together. Jews and Arabs
together stand here in this this square, stand together and protest
together and demand together the immediate end of this terrible carnage"
said Shauki Hatib, Head of the Arab Monitoring Committee, the leadership
of Israel's Arab citizens, and the audience responded with prolonged
chanting of "Jews and Arabs Refuse to be Enemies!".

"The main victims of this war are the poor. The well-to-do can afford to
run away. The poor stay, exposed to the bombs and the missiles. The poor
in Northern Israel and the poor in South Lebanon. This is the war of the
rich and the generals, and the poorer you are the higher the price you
pay" said Prof. Gadi Elgazi, historian and central activist of Ta'ayush.

"This war must stop. We here have to stop it. It is a war for Israel's
control and domination of the Middle East, a completely unjust war. There
are people who like to oppose a war after it is over, after they have
cheered the soldiers on. I say: the time to oppose the war is now - now
when the blood is flowing, when the bodies are buried, when the war crimes
are committed and perpetrated. The time is now!" was how anarchist Adar
Grayevsky, veteran of the prolonged struggle at Bil'in, put it.

After her, a young man mounted the podium. "My name is Zohar Milgrom. I am
26 years old, an activist in Yesh Gvul. I have got an emergency call up up
order. Tomorrow I have to show up at the army and get sent to Lebanon. I
will go there to declare that I am refusing. This is the only thing I can
do in face of the public silence, in face of the war crimes committed in
our name, in face of the leaders who have sent soldiers again into the
Lebanese swamp. I will dedicate my time of imprisonment to all the people
who suffer in this war, the Jews and the Arabs, the Israelis and Lebanese
and Palestinians, to stopping the madness and saving their lives. Before I
finish I would like to read to you the words of my friend, Isma'il abd-el
Hal of Gaza, who would have liked to stand here in Tel-Aviv and address
you, were it possible. This is what he asked me to tell you: Stop this war
now! This war is the mother of terrorists and extremists! We are all in
danger! We have to struggle together, to end this horror, to live together
in peace, in two states!"

After he went down, to the sound of applause, a Yesh Gvul speaker
announced a solidarity demonstration for next Saturday outside Military
prison 6 at Atlit - where refusing Captain Amir Pester has been for more
than week and where Milgrom will probably soon join him.

Epilogue: we dispersed last night with a rather uplifting feeling - even
though when most activists dispersed, the right-wingers seized the chance
to attack the podium and cause some damage (once again unstopped by the
police). This morning we got up with the diplomatic arena taking the
center, following the agreement between the Americans and French on the
ceasefire terms, and commentators endlessly analysing and dissecting it
and most coming to the conclusion that it was "good for Israel". Then, at
noon came the news of twelve Israelis being killed by rocket fire in the
north, the largest number of casualties Israel suffered in a single day of
this war (though for Lebanon this number would be rather below average).
It took many hours before the confirmation that the twelve were reserve
soldiers, called up in preparation for a possible extension of the ground
offensive into Lebanon and encamped - by the height of folly - under the
open sky in a daily targeted area, though the nearby Kibbutz offered them
its air raid shelter. And towards the evening, the new missile attack on
Haifa, covered live on TV, with the commentators visibly goading each
other into greater and greater frenzy: "Four falls detected in Haifa";
"Seven falls"; "Do you see these clouds of smoke?"; "A house has
collapsed"; "There are children there, small children, a woman was giving
birth just when the missile hit!"; "This is an Israeli Qana, now the
international public opinion will see that our civilians are also
suffering, all these Europeans who demonstrate and accuse us of destroying
Lebanon!"; "What do you say, gentlemen? You in the studio here are all
ex-generals with a lot of experience, what would you advice the government
to do?"; "I say we must send the tanks forward, immediately, if possible
already this night, take all the territory until the Litani river and
perhaps beyond, clean up all the hidden missiles in the villages"; "No,
no, that's wrong, Hizbullah will then ambush our soldiers, they are
guerillas. I say use our air power really to the full, every village from
which missiles are shot should just be totally destroyed, totally! No more
humanitarian considerations!"; "But what about the ceasefire, gentlemen?
The Security Council will convene tonight or tomorrow!"; "What ceasefire?
Do you think we can let the war end this way, to give them the last word?"

The last which we heard on TV, about ten minutes ago. (9.15 pm Israeli
time) was unconfirmed rumors about an emergency cabinet meeting, to
authorize the army to do...what?

Michael Friedman
Ph.D. Candidate in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior
City University of New York

Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Department of Invertebrate Zoology
American Museum of Natural History